Dave Meltzer has given his verdict on NXT Judgment Day.
Following what has been a whirlwind start to 2024, NXT held its latest Premium Live Event on February 4th with Vengeance Day in Clarksville, Tennessee. The card was topped by the NXT Title clash between Ilja Dragunov and Trick Williams, but it was Carmelo Hayes who stole the headlines.
In the opening match of the night, Hayes teamed with Williams in defeat to Bron Breakker and Baron Corbin in the finals of the Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic. Fast forward to the main event and Hayes was in Williams’ corner for his stunningly hard-hitting bout with Dragunov. When all was said and done, Dragunov retained his NXT Title, but the real story took place after the match.
Hayes initially appeared to comfort Williams before attacking him with a steel chair to leave him laying as the show went off the air.
Elsewhere there were wins for Dijak, Oba Femi, The D’Angelo Family, and Lyra Valkyria who retained her NXT Women’s Title. Although initially a singles match with Roxanne Perez, Lola Vice cashed in her Breakout Tournament contract to force a Triple Threat.
Following a couple of scary incidents in the opening match it was reported that all four NXT stars were “banged up.”
Dave Meltzer Match Ratings – NXT Vengeance Day
Writing in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer gave his breakdown of the action, with the main event given the highest score.
- Baron Corbin & Bron Breakker vs. Trick Williams & Carmelo Hayes – Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic Final ***1/2
- Dijak vs. Joe Gacy – No DQ Match ***1/4
- The D’Angelo Family vs. OTM **1/4
- Lyra Valkyria (c) vs. Roxanne Perez s. Lola Vice – NXT Women’s Championship **3/4
- Oba Femi (c) vs. Dragon Lee – NXT North American Title **1/2
- Ilja Dragunov (c) vs. Trick Williams – NXT Championship ****