Retired Star Teases AEW All In Return
A retired wrestler is teasing a potential wrestling return at AEW All In this coming August.
In early April, AEW announced that Nigel McGuinness was All Elite. After working for WWE for about six years, McGuinness was released in October 2022, which freed him up to join AEW.
Since signing with AEW, Nigel has settled in nicely as an announcer on the Ring of Honor brand with Ian Riccaboni and Caprice Coleman. Since AEW’s owner Tony Khan also owns Ring of Honor, some people only appear on ROH shows while others are under AEW deals.
Prior to being an announcer, Nigel McGuinness was a very successful wrestler for ROH. He had reigns as the ROH Pure and ROH World Championships. One of Nigel’s greatest opponents in ROH was Bryan Danielson, who works for AEW as part of the Blackpool Combat Club.
Earlier this week, tickets for the August 27th AEW All In event at Wembley Stadium in London, England had a pre-sale with an impressive 50,000+ tickets sold before the general sale. Chris Jericho, the first-ever AEW World Champion, commented on AEW passing 60,000 tickets sold after the general sale had started.
On Twitter, Tony Khan mentioned the 60,000 tickets number, and that led to this response from Nigel.
“Yikes – I think I said if it sells out i might just have to dust off the old boots.”
Yikes – I think I said if it sells out i might just have to dust off the old boots 😳
— nigel mcguinness (@McGuinnessNigel) May 6, 2023
If Nigel, who is British, does compete at All In then it would be his first match since he retired in 2011. At 47 years old, he is still younger than several members of the AEW roster including Jericho and Sting.
Whether Nigel was serious about his tweet is unknown for now, but we should learn more as we approach All In over the next three months.