Mercedes Mone On Forbidden Door 2 – “I Gotta Get That Phone Call”
IWGP Women’s World Champion Mercedes Mone says someone needs to put in a call if she is to appear at Forbidden Door 2 this summer.
On social media, All Elite Wrestling has confirmed that Forbidden Door will return in 2023 and will have an international flavour but not the one many expected. Rather than taking place in Japan, 2023’s edition of the cross-promotional spectacular will emanate from the Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on Sunday, June 25th.
The event sees the best of AEW do battle with the best of New Japan Pro Wrestling with 2022’s edition of the show headlined by Jon Moxley taking on Hiroshi Tanahashi for the Interim AEW World Championship.
Speaking at a Q&A session at Planet Comic Con, Mercedes Mone was asked about her own status for the event now she is part of NJPW but says she’s still waiting for that call:
“When is it? It’s in June? Okay, what day? [Fan is unsure of the date]. I don’t know when to show up then. Anybody know the date? June is so far (away). It could be open. July might be open. I gotta get that phone call. I gotta get that phone call from Unc.”
The event headlines six summer dates Tony Khan’s company has announced for Canada with the company running shows in Hamilton, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, and Calgary in June and July. The majority of those dates will either be for Dynamite and Rampage tapings but the Calgary event will be a house show taking place in the Saddledome during the world-famous Calgary Stampede.