Our full On This Day In Wrestling History section can be found here.
1991 – At a WWF Superstars of Wrestling TV show tapings in Las Vegas, Earthquake kayfabe squashed Damien the pet python of Jake ‘The Snake’ Roberts whilst Roberts was tied up in the ropes during a scheduled TV match between the two which resulted in a no contest. When the match aired on TV, footage of Earthquake landing on Damien was edited out of the broadcast with cutaways to the syndicated show’s Event Center hosted then by Sean Mooney. In reality there were two bags at ringside which were switched, and the bag which Earthquake landed on contained stockings stuffed with hamburger meat and a small motor to simulate a live snake in the bag.
2001 – On the go-home edition of Monday Night Raw before WrestleMania, Vince McMahon revealed on a live simulcast with WCW Monday Nitro from Panama City in Florida that he had purchased WCW and announced that he had “bought his competition”. During the simulcast Vince McMahon’s son and upcoming WrestleMania opponent Shane McMahon announced on the historic broadcast that he was the new kayfabe owner of World Championship Wrestling. Also ‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin and then-WWF Champion The Rock defeated The Brothers of Destruction The Undertaker and Kane in the main event.
2001 – On the final edition of WCW Monday Nitro which was tagged as the Night of Champions Booker T defeated Scott Steiner for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Also, Billy Kidman & Rey Mysterio defeated Elix Skipper & Kid Romeo for the WCW Cruiserweight Tag Team Titles, and Sting defeated Ric Flair by submission on the final match of WCW Nitro, which brought the historic Monday Night Wars to a conclusion.
2002– Raven defeated Maven for the WWF Hardcore Title at the WWF SmackDown taping in Philadelphia.
2007 – On the go-home edition of WWE Raw ahead of WrestleMania XIII from Chicago, Batista & The Undertaker defeated John Cena & Shawn Michaels in the main event. Mr McMahon pinned Bobby Lashley in a No Disqualification match after outside interference from Umaga.
2010 – Tyler Black (Seth Rollins) retained the ROH World Heavyweight Title against Austin Aries at ROH ‘From The Ashes’.
2017 – At PROGRESS ‘Chapter 46: I Like To Chill Here and Shoot Some Dinosaurs’ at the Electric Ballroom in London, Pete Dunne retained the Progress Title in the main event against Mark Andrews. Also on the card, Matt Riddle retained the Progress Atlas Title against Walter, Trent Seven & Tyler Bate retained the Progress Tag Team Titles against Jim & Lee Hunter, and Jimmy Havoc pinned Will Ospreay in a Loser Leaves Progress Fans Bring The Weapons Match.
2019 – Charlotte Flair defeated Asuka for the WWE Smackdown Women’s Title on WWE Smackdown Live from Uncasville, Connecticut. On the same show, Big E & Xavier Woods won Kofi Kingston a WWE Title shot against Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania XXXV by competing in a tag team gauntlet match defeating Daniel Bryan & Eric Rowan on the final match of the show to secure the victory and set ‘KofiMania’ in motion.
2020 – The second day of WrestleMania XXXVI tapings took place at the WWE Performance Centre in Orlando.
On the card:
- Charlotte Flair defeated Rhea Ripley for the NXT Women’s Title.
- Aleister Black pinned Bobby Lashley.
- Otis defeated Dolph Ziggler.
- Edge defeated Randy Orton in a Last Man Standing Match. This was Edge’s first WrestleMania match in nine years.
- WrestleMania host Rob Gronkowski pinned Mojo Rawley for the 24/7 Title.
- The Street Profits retained the Raw Tag Team Championship against Austin Theory & Angel Garza.
- Bayley retained the SmackDown Women’s Title in a Fatal 5-Way Elimination match against Lacey Evans, Naomi, Sasha Banks and Tamina.
- ‘The Fiend’ Bray Wyatt defeated John Cena in a Firefly Fun House match. This was the second of two highly praised cinematic matches to feature due to creative decisions made a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Drew McIntyre defeated Brock Lesnar to win his first WWE Championship.
- Drew McIntyre retained the WWE Championship against The Big Show in a dark match that aired on the following night’s episode of Raw.
2020 – Sammy Guevara & Shawn Spears defeated Cody Rhodes & Darby Allin in the main event of the AEW Dynamite taping from Norcross, Georgia.
2021 – On an episode of SmackDown, Daniel Bryan (Bryan Danielson) was added to the Universal Championship match at WrestleMania between Edge and Roman Reigns.
Notable Wrestling Birthdays: