Our full On This Day In Wrestling History section can be found here.
1966 – In St. Louis, Missouri, Gene Kiniski defeated Lou Thesz to win the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and would go on to hold for title for the next three years.
1985 – In the main event of the NJPW Toda Show in Saitama, Japan, the team of Antonio Inoki, Tatsumi Fujinami, and The Cobra beat the team of Hulk Hogan, Black Tiger I, and Samula.
2001 – ECW held ‘Guilty As Charged’ at the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City. Due to financial difficulties, this would be the last televised event ever held by the company as they would ultimately go bankrupt two months later. On the card The Sandman defeated both Steve Corino and Justin Credible in a Tables, Ladders, Chairs and Canes match to win the ECW World Heavyweight Championship before losing the belt to Television Champion Rhino in the main event later on in the evening.
2002 – WWF Monday Night Raw was held at Madison Square Garden, New York City. The show would mark the return to the company for Triple H. He had been on the shelf with an injury since April 2001. His return, as a babyface, generated one of the biggest crowd reactions in Raw history. Also on the show, Spike Dudley and Tazz won the WWF Tag Team Championships after beating Bubba Ray and D-Von, The Dudley Boyz.
2007 – WWE New Year’s Revolution PPV came form Kansas City, Missouri. The main event of the night saw John Cena defend the WWE Championship against an unbeaten Umaga. The match ended with Cena retaining by pinfall with a roll-up to give Umaga his first defeat by pinfall or submission.
2008 – At a TNA Impact TV taping in Orlando, Florida, Awesome Kong defeated Gail Kim to become the second-ever Knockouts Champion.
2008 – WWE Monday Night Raw Roulette took place in Uncasville, Connecticut, where every match was decided on the spin of a wheel.
- Shawn Michaels and Mr. Kennedy defeated Trevor Murdoch and Charlie Haas in a ‘Strange Bedfellows’ match.
- Hardcore Holly defeated Carlito in a ‘Trading Places’ match, where both wrestlers used the other’s entrance music and ring attire.
- Ashley Massaro defeated Jillian, Maria, Melina, and Mickie James in a lingerie pillow fight.
- Triple H defeated William Regal in a First Blood match.
- Chris Jericho defeated Gene Snitsky and John Bradshaw Layfield by disqualification in a handicap match.
- Hornswoggle and Mick Foley defeated The Highlanders (Robbie and Rory McAllister) to qualify for the Royal Rumble match.
- Jeff Hardy defeated Umaga by pinfall in a steel cage match.
2015 – TNA Impact debuted on the ‘Destination America’ channel. In the main event of the show, Bobby Lashley defeated Bobby Roode to win the TNA Heavyweight Championship.
2019 – On an episode of Raw from the Amway Centre in Orlando, Florida, Dean Ambrose defeated Seth Rollins in a Falls Count Anywhere match to retain the WWE Intercontinental Championship. Also on the show, John Cena declared himself for the Royal Rumble and Hulk Hogan returned.
Notable Wrestling Birthdays: