Brock Lesnar was on ESPN SportsCenter’s ‘Off The Top Rope’ segment last night with former WWE color commentator Jonathan Coachman. Off The Top Rope is a weekly segment on SportsCenter where Coachman runs down the Top 5 moments from that week’s Raw and interviews a WWE Superstar or Diva.
Last week’s guest on Off The Top Rope was Daniel Bryan who discussed his retirement and the severe concussions that he has had to deal with for years. Lesnar gave his thoughts about the sudden end to Bryan’s career, whether or not he made the right decision and insight into how many concussion Lesnar himself has suffered from due to the nature of the business.
“I think he made a wise choice. Over the years I can’t even count on both my hands the amount of concussions I probably had and didn’t even know, just because of the business that I’ve been in. But, I mean when you can step away and put your health before your pride and the things that you love to do and understand that there’s more to life than wrestling or fighting, or so be it, football. Whatever it might be. You’ve got to take a step back and understand that someday, if you want some longevity, you’ve got to make the right decision and I tip my hat to Daniel and I think he made the right decision.”
Lesnar went on to talk about his favorite WrestleMania moment, his botched Shooting Star Press at WrestleMania XIX, his relationship with Paul Heyman and Ronda Rousey contemplating suicide after her UFC loss to Holly Holm. It was an interesting segment that you can click here to watch in full.
King Barrett Thanks Fans and Responds to WWE Departure Reports
Yesterday I covered the report that Wade “King” Barrett has given notice to WWE and will not be re-signing when his contract expires over the summer. Barrett took to Twitter after last night’s Smackdown taping to thank his supporters and give a response about his future with WWE.
Note that Barrett changed his Twitter name to his real name, Stu Bennett.
I unexpectedly received a lot of very nice messages from people today. Thank you to everyone who took the time to write some kind words.
— Stu Bennett (@StuBennett) February 17, 2016
— Stu Bennett (@StuBennett) February 17, 2016
In Other News
– WWE NXT Champion Finn Balor released a video promoting WWE’s annual WrestleMania Reading Challenge. In this video, he updated fans of his health status saying that his ankle feels a lot better and that he’s hoping to be back on the road this weekend. Balor suffered an ankle injury at an NXT Live Event on February 5. It wasn’t too serious of an injury, but it’s nice to hear that he’s recovering quickly and should be 100% by the time NXT Takeover Dallas rolls around on April 1.
— WWE (@WWE) February 16, 2016
– Big Show, Ryback & Kane vs. The Wyatt Family was recently added to the WWE Fastlane PPV this Sunday. You can read John Canton’s thoughts on the match as well as the updated card for Fastlane right here.
– WWE issued a press release yesterday regarding a lot of new programming that has already been added to the WWE Network and all-new programming that will be coming to their network throughout the year.
– The most notable and exciting news to come out of this press release was the announcement of a brand-new cruiserweight series title, Global Cruiserweight Series. It’s a 10-week, 32-man tournament to “vie for the right to call themselves the best cruiserweight in the world.” It takes place at Full Sail University and will debut on July 13.
– There have been rumors lately that Rey Mysterio may be back with WWE before SummerSlam in August. With the news of WWE Network’s Global Cruiserweight Series, this rumor makes a lot more sense as to why WWE would want to bring back Mysterio so soon after parting ways with him. If he’s not competing in the tournament itself, I can definitely see him as a commentator/host/authority figure of some kind.
– Tonight will be Lucha Underground’s fourth episode of season two. Chavo Guerrero and The Crew will return to the Temple and Joey Ryan will make his in-ring debut. You can click here to find out if your cable provider carries the El Rey Network.
Read Our Stuff
– Hank McAllen wrote an interesting column about who he feels have been the four faces of the WWE since the company’s inception. Give it a read and see if you agree.
– John Canton reviewed this week’s edition of Raw, writing his usual WWE Raw Deal column live on Monday night. You can read all about the show as well as John’s thoughts on it by clicking here.
– Here’s Ron Pasceri as he reflects on CM Punk, Daniel Bryan and the WWE Universe.
That’s all for now. John Canton will be covering tomorrow’s daily news update and Wayne Tomkins will be here on Friday. Thanks for reading and as always leave any of your thoughts in the comment section below.